Cs up

Cs up
reppin the bridge far and wide.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

OYYY!!! (taekwondo screaming sound)

Hi everyone! I have just gotten back from taekwondo class and am taking a breather before hopping in the shower so I am presentable at a boxing meeting we have tonight. Taekwondo is soooo cool. There are about 8 black belts in our class so they all went to the side to work with one TA while the other was helping us improve. I kept seeing them do all these high kicks out of the corner of my eye! Took a lot of work to stay focused on my moves but its not that hard since it is so much fun. It is all taught in Korean but I hear the same words repeatedly and am beginning to know what action is associated with them. The funniest part is the little definitions i make up in my head to remind me. For instance the word for one of our hitting moves sounds a lot like tomahawk (i have no idea what it actually is), which reminds me of an axe so i think of the swinging axe motion which is similar to the arm motion. Each class i get less and less of a step behind, which is awesome!

This weekend Emily, Tina, Jonathan, Reed, Queree, and I had a good time hanging out with Heri. Heri works at Season 3, which is a hof we frequent. It has sparkly booths and shiny things hanging down from the ceiling, so quite the sight. It is a nice place to go, get some food, drink some soju, and just hang out together. Heri is always working there so she has gotten to know us. She doesn't really speak English but we somehow formed this relationship with her. One night she texted me and asked if we could all go out together! We were so excited because since she is always working we wanted to be able to spend more time with her. So we all went out, had a crazy night. Very oddly she kept insisting that with us she wasnt married. Not really sure how to take this one... But she did say that the reason she liked us is because we seemed so honest, and pure. She said there is this perception that foreigners are snobby and sleazy and that she was so surprised when she met us because we weren't and that we changed her perception. That made me so happy to hear! One of my main goals is to promote a positive American image and this is concrete evidence that we are making progress. We ended the night at about 6 am after a long noraebang (노래방, karaoke) session. It was a great time : )

A different night Reed, Emily, Tina and I were out and all of a sudden I heard Spanish behind me. I was really confused because when I turned around it was a table of all Koreans. When you go out to bars though it is not uncommon for tables to interact (expecially since we're foreigners). Korean drinking culture is alllllll about the games and a funny and common penalty is to go take a shot with someone at a different table. So anyway, it isn't weird that I just turned around and joined their table and started talking to them. Turns out they had all met in Guatemala because of their parent jobs. Most of them spoke English, to varying degrees, some didn't at all but since they spoke Spanish we communicated just fine. I was shocked to say the least. I have been told that Koreans are rather good at pronouncing Spanish, (both phonetic languages? similar sounds? i dont know..) who knew? Before long we had completely merged tables, were having a good time, and exchanged numbers. But just another typical night : )

Last Wednesday we went to a really cool performance called Nanta. You may have heard of it because it has traveled all the way to Broadway it is so popular. It is a cooking/drumming/comedy show. Its more drumming than anything but they use knives, vegetables, pots, pans, whisks, and what not to make the beat. And everything is infused with comedy. It was entertaining and they were really cooking on the stage! it smelled soooooooo good. The premise was that the owner of a cooking company gives these three cooks and extremely difficult menu to whip up in an hour for a wedding when the owner's nephew comes and the owner assigns him to the cooking team, but he has no idea what he is doing. The whole performance ends with an epic drumming session. Definitely recommend.

My bodybuilding class is getting pretty hard! The frustrating thing is that what we are quizzed on is not what we learn in class. My professor posts powerpoints of 35+ exercises for each muscle group (so far we have arms and shoulder) and we have to memorize all of the exercises and the muscles they work. In class we never use muscle names, right now we are learning about energy systems and lactic acid build up. I guess I wouldn't mind it if we were learning in more steps. Like first we learn the muscles, then we learn the work outs but it just seems like a lot and we are all in the dark pretty much, its just what you can figure out on your own. I am really enjoying the class though. Since I am not even getting Colby credit for it there is absolutely zero pressure to pass but also since im the only white person i dont want to look lazy. but its a one credit class (a normal class here is 3)!! come on. I think the professor is awesome though, I am lucky he is teaching such a low level class or I definitely wouldn't be learning this much.

Tomorrow we find out if my program is going to Japan or not. We are planned for a 4 day trip April 29 - May 2. Suzanne, out resident director, is planning another trip just incase Japan falls through. We don't know where this other trip would be but if I had to guess I think it would be Jeju. We need visas for China and there is no where else that is close. I am hoping Hong Kong and then I could see LUKASSSS!! (who i miss terribly) but its a hike. I really hope we can go to Japan because i have been to Jeju and don't really think it would be fun without the warm weather. Plus I like all the memories I have there with Danielle, Peter, Bob, and Loan. How could you possibly top that trip? Especially traveling in an American mob on a tiny island...I dont know. Going to Japan would be fun because there are two Colby students there that I know who have an apartment in Osaka (which is where our trip is planned to go) so it would be awesome to have a local connect. We will see, fingers crossed.

This is my last week of no 9 am classes. I am a little worried because I am increasingly turning nocturnal. I have no issue with just staying up till 5am and sleeping till 4pm. I have to set an alarm for my 1 pm classes, even my 3 pm classes. I have never been like this! I am hoping this Korean class is going to whip me into regular human being time, but more likely I will just get used to sleeping a lot less. Oh well, im young, i can deal with it.

Lukas is coming at the end of May, which is REALLY EXCITING!! i miss him so much!! He left half way through August last summer and has been in China/Hong Kong the whole entire time. I definitely talk to him the most out of anyone since we gchat or skype almost everyday but I can't wait to see him in person! Him and his cousin are traveling around when he is done with school. Stop 1 is Seoul and Stop 2 is Japan but he might just do the whole time in Korea, a lot is up in the air regarding Japan. Anyway I am going to compile a list of places they could stay. I just cant believe were finally going to hang out after all this time....10 months! aish! but i still have 2 more months to wait...until then i will be doing my thing!!

until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment