Cs up

Cs up
reppin the bridge far and wide.

Friday, June 18, 2010


This week Dr. Oh took out the American students and the head of some artificial intelligence lab or something like that, Professor Kwan. We went out to a Korean style Japanese restaurant. If there is one meal in the world I could choose to never ever ever have to eat or see it would be raw fish. I think I would rather eat only rice (even without soy sauce) for a month than eat raw fish for one night. And I have been successfully avoiding it my whole entire life with no problems...until wednesday night. There was no getting out of this one. I seriously contemplated pretending to be sick but realized the infeasibility so i starved myself all day so i could possibly tolerate it out of desperation (that was plan a).

The restaurant was really beautiful though. We had a nice room which was quickly filled with lots of trays of different sea creatures. There was sea squirt, octopus, salmon, sea urchin, live ocotpus, fugu (pufferfish), sea bass, shrimp, whole fish (bones and all!) and a whole tray of raw fish stomachs and other parts. I tried everything and to my surprise the stuff that sounds the weirdest was by far the best (compared to what else was on the table). The problem is everything is so chewy so it stayed in my mouth forever! I kept trying to swallow but it just wasn't happening. I was pulling a little bit of a gerbil because I kept all of the food i was chomping on in my cheeks because i didn't want to taste it on my tongue. Twice I was chewing the raw fish (for what seemed like an eternity) and it escaped my cheek and spilled on to my tongue. My first reaction was ok maybe i will like it better this time. not the case. I actually turned away from the table and thought I was going to puke. My gag reflexes are on point. I was using every muscle in my body to keep that fish inside. After the first instance of this i moved to plan b: drink myself into liking it. Which was infinitely more successful than plan a. Professor Kwan was a drinking expert and loved teaching us tricks. For instance you add a shot of soju to a glass of beer and then drink it all in one go. Thank god professor kwan was there or i dont even know what would have happened.

After dinner professor Kwan suggested a little bit of noraebang, korean karaoke. Noraebang is realllly big here, you see the places everywhere. I wasn't sure what to expect but still wearing a little asian glow from dinner thought it was a wonderful idea. It was so cool! There is a room with crazy lights going and a big tv with the lyrics and videos going and best of all, tambourines. Peter, Danielle and I did lots of trios together ranging from Kanye West to the Monkees to Taylor Swift. Professor Kwan and Dr. Oh were great also! Overall it was a really great night! most fun i never want to have again (except the noraebang) : )

1 comment: